Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Over The Top

Well, I just "dipped" the Elves, so they are now ready for the weekend (I just need to make a wood.... hmmm). They look so pretty, lovely a shiney (that's the gloss from the dip - I really need to get some Matt spray, but my usual stockist has been out for weeks).

Over the Top is this weekend. Whilst all my games with the WE so far have been 'fluffy' games using army lists people are taking to "fluffycon" (weekend after next - 2 tournaments in a row... lucky me). Therefore I have never used the list I'm taking.... I tend to do better in these situations though - weird.

My list is below:

Highborn: Forest Dragon, Enchanted Shield, Spear, Light Armour, Hail of Doom Arrow, Annoyance of Netlings, Stone of Crystal Mere
Spellsinger : Level 2, Dispel Scroll, Pagent of Shrieks
Noble: BSB, Elven Steed, Light armour, Moonstone of Hidden Ways

15 Eternal Guard: Std, Musc, War Banner
20 Glade Guard: Std, Musc
12 Glade Guard: Std, Musc
5 Glade Riders: Musc
5 Glade Riders: Musc
9 Wardancers: Musc
5 Wardancers
5 Wardancers
5 Waywatchers

Yes, it has a Dragon. I feel a bit "naughty" for taking one, but its my first tournament with a Dragon and its a lovely model. Also by todays standards with Star Dragons, Dragons with Hatred, Multiple Breath attacks.... its one of the "weaker" versions of the big guy..... so I feel better about myself.

The equipment on the big guy should help their survival. The 3+ ward should help vs cannons and the like, the worry is small arms fire making me take a few ward saves and the ward "fizzing out". The Annoyance and ward should mean the boss is safe from most enemies. Hail of Doom is obvious. Generally this guy will fly up, kill a support unit with the Doom arrow, then generally run amock, combinging charges into big blocks later in the game.

Spellsinger is a std lvl 2. I added pagents as its my "sneaky trick" vs Hydras. Those things are sick. I'm a little concerned about magic defense (3 VC lists at OTT), but I guess I'll just have to try and kill enemy wizards (the best magic defense of all). Pagents could help with this as well.

BSB: The moonstone should be fun. I intend to teleport the Eternal Gaurd or Archers, depending in mobilty of the enemy, choice of targets and location of woods. I think another lvl 2 with the moonstone might have been better, but I really like BSBs, and only have 1 mage model.

Eternal Gaurd: Solid, best performers in the fluffy games, hopefully they can step up vs some harder lists as well.

Archers: Solid core for any WE player. The larger units make the list "less optimal" but look cooler and have the advantage of scaring potential chargers with a huge stand and fire.

Glade Riders: SUCK - far, far too easy to shoot/magic. But will be essential vs any combat list to disrupt their movement.

Wardancers: Solid choice. 1 main assault unit, and the small units being tough enough to take on enemy support units, and provide combo charges.

Waywatchers are cool. Many uses for a small unit.


Overall I think the list is 'relatively' soft (although tougher than the fluffycon lists) despite the Dragon.... but we'll see. There are 3 dwarf, 3 WE and 3 VC lists at OTT (from 14 players). I think Dwarfs and VCs will be difficult.

WE main strength is moanauvrabilty, but vs the Dwarfs that's meaningless as 'everyone' is highly moanauvreble compared to them. Tactics will be kill the small stuff (shooters, war machines) and hide from big units until I can shoot them enough so they are small enough to manage.

WE are also a 'finesse' army (esp with no spirts) and do badly in protracted combats - except the Eternal Gaurd - they blend. With weak magic defense I'm not sure I can kill stuff quickly enough to stop models just being raised back. Also a HUGE lack of magical attacks will prove very difficult if I face Ethereals (normally I 'always' ensure I have some maic attacks in the list - but only realised I didn't have any after I submitted the list). If I play anyone with Wraiths or Spirit Hosts I'll have to just hope the Hail of Doom arrow does a "REALLY" good shot (18 wounds please).


Looking forward to it. Should have a report + pics early next week.

No comments: