Thursday, February 5, 2009

Wood Elves

As mentioed I have 'done' a Wood Elf army. I wanted something a 'little different' - I am generally into themed armies. And so the army is entirely asrai, only elves - no spirits.

This is for 2 reasons:
1) Its different, makes it a more challenging list to use, makes me feel good about myself.
2) ALL the models are interchangable as High Elves (Eternal Gaurd = Spearmen, Glade Gaurd = Archers, Waywatchers = Shadow Warriors....)

All Asrai WE has 1 HUGE issue. Its VERY, very fragile. Dryads, Treeman (and even Wild Riders) add an element of durabilty to a typical WE list. The asrai boys die VERY easily - to anything. The main impact on this in games has been, whilst 'overall' I tend to do OK, even when I win its only just as I loose so much (tiny mistakes, or small bits of bad luck = dead units). Other people have commented that its no different for DE or HE... I disagree.

The Heavy cav, and chariots in both lists add a huge element of durability.

To put it into perspective I have nearly 3000 points of WE. EVERY model has T3, and at best a 5+ save (except the dragon).

The challenge, is making them interesting to use, and I'm regulaily learning things in games. Something I honestly haven't done in a while. Main reason is to do well with the WE list (exp asrai version) you need to play quite cautiously, play the long game... etc. This is the opposite of my usual, hyper-aggressive style.... its all very interesting (I keep charging waywatchers turn 1, because I can - probably not their best use, but I'm 'learning' to kerb my enthusiam for FICI - "F&*k it, charge it" ).


Anyway, the list I have been playing with recently, which is my list for Fluffycon, is below. Note Fluffycon is a 'very' comp-friendly tournament and there are some intentioned non-optimal choices/ommisions (on top of the asrai-only theme).


Noble(General): Waywatcher Kindred, Fimblewinter Shard, Wildfire blades
Spellsinger: Level 2, Calaingors Stave, Dispel Scroll
Noble: Alter Kindred, Helm of the Hunt, Light armour, Shield, Great Weapon
Noble:BSB, Elven Steed, Light armour, Stone of Crystal Mere, Elynetts Broach

20 Glade Guard: FC
5 Glade Riders: Musc
5 Glade Riders: Musc
15 Eternal Guard: FC, War Banner
8 Wardancers: Musc
8 Wardancers: Musc
3 Warhawks
9 Waywatchers

One of the 'charcteristics' of fluffycon are a series of "hard caps" that limit what you can take in a list. The only one that really impacted my army is a limit of 45 guys with ranged weapons. The problem with Asrai is 'everyone' has a bow - except eternal gaurd and wardancers. That' s the main reason behind the 4 characters. I 'only' have 15 Eternal Gaurd, and more wardancers seemed "unfluffy" so spent points on a 'slightly-pointless' Waywatcher Lord.

For a long time I was running a lvl 3, but he was a lot of points (300 from a 200 point list) and never really did much. So he got dropped for a level 2. The Alter noble came about after playing Nick Irvines WE Alter (amber Pendant and Briarsheeth) and he caused me 'some' trouble. I thought about copying Nicks build, but decided that was gay.

So far the best unit, by far, have been the Eternal Gaurd + BSB. LOTs of high I, high WS attacks have resulted in some (sometimes surprising) results. Highlights have included.

Destroying:
30 Skeletons + Tomb King in only 3 rounds of combat
16 White lions + HE hero
Surviving (almost) every game intact.
.... awesome. I quite fancy getting some more, but that won't for a while (I think).


At some point I'll get around to taking some pics of the army (probably at OTT)

2 comments:

Nick Lironi-Irvine said...

You're alive! Awesome, more, more!! Now that lucky Dave is starting work again and blogging less you need to pick up the jiDave reigns and give us a weekly dose of gaming

Unknown said...

Settle down there Grasshopper. Lucky Dave is alive and well and ready to kick your butt.

Dave you fluffy elves are the win mate. Good to see that change in General - reckon the L3 was a bit naff and relying on that utterly HOPELESS Alter Noble was hilarious (for me) but ultimately your not putting killy eggs in one basket.

The Eternal Guard are MINT. Expect them to be targetted with anything and everything worthwhile if we play again. Simply outstanding unit, simple but highly effective. That BSB ain't soft either with his elven tricksiness.